Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Creating A Comedy Skit


Wow !!!! I am a little sad that this trip is coming to an end, but boy do I have some laughs and funny stories to share with you!!!! Out of respect for Bernie Mac (bless his soul), I am going to put together a comedy skit.


Stand Up Comedy Act
I am a big fan of stand up comedy, even acts that aren't all that funny. On GP (i.e. General Principle), I give the comedian props for having enough courage and heart to stand up in front of people.

Over the past few months, I have been watching tons of stand up. For example, I've watched Katt Williams, Martin, Bernie Mac, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, and even some local acts.

I believe that my trip to China has created several moments worth retelling on stage via a comedy skit and I plan to deliver. In order to do it properly, I will put together a 5-10 minute act centered on a few topics. If you have any ideas or critiques of my topics (content too), then feel free to let me know. For the most part, I won't post any details of my content until after I perform. Just let me know if you want to dig deep on one area in order to help me hone my skit. Trust me, I won't try to do too much in one skit, but I won't have a lack of material either. I am keeping it a little vague right now for a reason.

If you have any crazy travel stories or anything interesting that took place on one of your trips to China or any trips anywhere, feel free to reach out to me as well.

This should be fun. Between writing, practicing, and actually delivering a skit, I will have a ball. I will keep you up to date on my progress.


MAJOR COMEDIC THEMES
  1. Difficulties of not being able to speak the local language.
  2. Alternative methods of communicating when a common language is spoken
  3. Negotiating the price of goods at various markets.
  4. My personal flight from the US to China (hilarious, you should read my blog about this episode of the trip).
  5. Going to the bathroom in a foreign country, especially China (I have a few good ones about this).
  6. Eating. Food. Pets. Not being able to recognize half the food that one eats in a foreign country.
  7. Can you believe the hype? Fact or Fiction !!!
  8. Chinese don't believe in personal space at all (taking pictures, bathroom incident).
  9. Going beyond your comfort zone.
  10. Tour guides.
  11. Different customs and the difficulty of translating idioms from one country to another.
  12. Watermelon & Chicken in China.
  13. Americans being nicer to other Americans in foreign countries than they normally would in America.
  14. How African Americans meet other African Americans when visiting foreign lands.
  15. Haters !!
  16. Homeless !!

No comments: